Assessing and Teaching Part II of the California ELD Standards
Learning How English Works (LHEW) is designed to help unpack and implement Part II of the California ELD Standards. LHEW deepens the understanding of the California ELD Standards and guides teachers in planning language lessons for Designated ELD instruction.
What you will learn
- How to consider classroom language demands connected to the CA ELD standards.
- A deeper understanding of the text, sentence, and word level academic language of Part II of the CA ELD standards.
- Consider how the protocols, strategies, and routines discussed fit into an existing curriculum.
- Practice the Student Work Analysis Protocol (SWAP) with a focus on language to set learning goals
- Instruction from current classroom teachers who are past participants of the LHEW program.
- Participate in an instructional routine sequence for teaching language.
- Experience strategies for teaching text, sentence, and word level language.
- Practice the Student Work Analysis Protocol (SWAP) with a focus on language to set learning goals.
Is LHEW for me?
Learning How English Works will assist all educators in deepening their skills in supporting English Language learners. LHEW is particularly beneficial for:
- K-5th Classroom Teachers
- 6th-12th Classroom Teachers
- Bilingual or ELD Coaches
- TOSAs (Teachers on Special Assignment)