Literacy instruction, language development, & professional education for teachers
The UC San Diego Region of the California Reading & Literature Project (CRLP) is dedicated to providing teachers with opportunities to deepen their content knowledge and expand their repertoire of teaching strategies in language, literacy, and bi-literacy. We have a well-established track record of excellence in the areas of literacy instruction, language development, and professional education.
CRLP’s effectiveness stems from its core values and the evolution of elements that serve them:
- Literacy: Literacy is a civil right.
- Equity: All students deserve high quality responsive, culturally affirming literacy instruction.
- Leadership: Teacher leadership fosters agency for courageous and informed decision-making.
- Community: Inclusive and collaborative educational communities advance collective expertise.
- Inquiry: Curiosity and questioning create a cycle of learning, knowing, and understanding.
Made up of a network of veteran classroom Teacher Leaders, the CRLP supports schools in San Diego County by having active teachers lead and facilitate our signature program content and workshops. We believe (and the research shows) that teachers learn best when they are learning from each other, which is why our trained CRLP Teacher Leaders deliver our professional development learning opportunities.
Since 1997, we have proudly partnered with over fifty school districts, various state/federal grant initiatives, and charter schools in the San Diego region to support professional development for teachers in English Language Development, foundational reading skills, and content-area literacy.
What we do
We serve teachers in the San Diego region by providing professional learning development opportunities grounded in the latest California Frameworks, CA CCSS ELA/Literacy Standards, CA ELD Standards, and the CA SLD Standards.
Professional learning institutes & workshops
- English Language Development (Integrated & Designated)
- Spanish-Language Development (Designated)
- Discipline-specific literacy in the core content areas (History, English, Science, Mathematics)
- Complex text and close reading routines
- Foundational reading skills (English & Spanish)
- Administrator-Specific Speakers’ Series
Teacher leadership capacity building & development
- Honing a personal leadership identity, grounded in core values
- Adult learning theory
- Pedagogical content knowledge
- Understanding and responding to student diversity
- Cultivating professional learning communities
Current & Upcoming Events
"I felt like a refresh button was pressed for me... Being around like-minded teachers, feeling supported, seen, and heard in such a reflective community... I am so grateful!" -- CRLP Regional San Diego Invitational participant, Winter 2022
"The systematic way the CRLP is teaching me to plan for all students to reach the intended concepts using culturally relevant literature." -- CRLP Regional San Diego Results for Reading Comprehension participant, Summer 2022
"I loved how the material was scaffolded and the strategies of engagement that were implemented to support our learning! I can't wait to go back into in-personal professional learning!" - CRLP Regional San Diego Spanish English Biliteracy Transfer participant, Summer 2022
"Always love using visual aides and color coding to highlight specific things for kiddos to have a better grasp of what's being learned." -- CRLP Regional San Diego Results for Reading Comprehension participant, Spring 2023
"Connecting with my content-specific group was so meaningful. Learning from those teachers was so valuable and inspiring for my future teaching this year. I want to make sure I'm equally as intentional in my teaching to help solidify this vertical alignment, and I also want to keep in consistent contact." - CRLP/Gear Up - Learning How English Works Participant, Summer 2023
Our Signature Programs offer practical instructional routines and tools for K-12 teachers to support students' academic language and literacy development.