There is no substitute for the authentic voice and experience of a fellow colleague. We believe, and the research shows, that teachers are most successful when they are learning from other teachers. This is why the CRLP is committed to training and developing a corps of Teacher Leaders to facilitate our professional development programs.
CRLP Teacher Leaders can speak to how they have integrated our professional development content into their own teaching practice, bridging cutting edge educational research with effective classroom teaching strategies and routines. This expert knowledge, coupled with additional leadership training, allows each Teacher Leader to deliver our content with confidence and build instant rapport with participants.
Teachers as leaders, teachers as learners
Teacher Leaders have the opportunity to engage in various forms of learning, which help them to strengthen their own educational knowledge and skills, often resulting in the transfer of knowledge to colleagues and peers.
CRLP Teacher Leaders are committed to learning and self-improvement. We actively cultivate our Teacher Leader learning community through a variety of opportunities:
- Hosting a “flagship” Teacher Leadership Invitational three times a year.
- Offering peer coaching cycles and opportunities for self-reflection.
- Providing book club(s) on educational topics and/or leadership development.
- Sponsoring attendance at local and statewide conferences (CTA, CABE, SDUSD and UCSD).
- Facilitating local study sessions on updated statewide Guidelines, Standards, and Frameworks.
- Providing opportunities to present CRLP content to educators in the community.
Who are the CRLP Teacher Leaders?
Our Teacher Leaders are a diverse group of educators representing schools across San Diego County. They bring a wealth of knowledge and experience, and hold a variety of positions in the field, including:
- PreK-12 classroom teachers (English and Bilingual)
- Literacy Coaches and Teachers on Special Assignment (TOSAs)
- District and School Site Administrators
- University Faculty
The benefits of becoming a teacher leader
You will become part of a supportive community of like-minded educators from around the county who will expand your thinking and perspective.
You will belong to a statewide network of Teacher Leaders who are ambassadors for best teaching practices.
You will learn to effectively advocate for English Learners and district/school funding priorities.
You will learn the most current, research based literacy practices, as well as gain the tools necessary to facilitate your peers’ learning in these areas.
Your participation will positively impact your students’ learning, your grade-level/department, and your entire school community.
Other tangible benefits include:
- Membership in the statewide CRLP learning community of professional educators
- High quality professional learning opportunities on current educational research and policy
- The knowledge, skills, and tools to potentially present and coach CRLP signature programs (with compensation)
- Professional resources, a network of professional contacts, and a shared enthusiasm for teaching and learning.